Monday, March 7, 2011

Dorothy Louise...My Grandma

My Grandma Q passed away on Wed, March 2.
It was a tad sudden and unexpected...definitely not something I would have imagined happening this year.
Mostly because my Grandma is a fighter.
She has been through so much, but holds on to her convictions, almost to a fault, and rises back up again.
We were never super close, but she was still and is still my Grandma.

Grandma Q joined the church when I was 15 years old and went through the temple to get sealed to my Papa when I was 16.
Since her baptism I have seen some amazing changes within her.
She became very understanding, very open minded, and very caring.
She would always want to know all about my life whenever I called and would always ask how dating was and if I was "playing the field" or "narrowing in."
The conversation would always end with her telling me she prayed for my happiness every night.
She was just the way a supportive Grandma should be in these last few years.

(3 generations at Kar's wedding, Jul 09)

Some things that will always remind me of Grandma Q:
cough drop smell (that woman ALWAYS had cough drops in her purse so she by default smelled like it.)
romance movies.
makeup counters at department stores.
Dillards.
strong perfume.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Marley & Me.

I love you Grandma!
Sorry I could not be there in your final days.
I know Papa was there waiting for you on the other side.
I'll see you again.

2 comments:

Lori said...

That was beautiful. Thank you, Kaycie.

Unknown said...

Sorry about your grandma, Kayc- but thank goodness for eternal families. :)