Saturday, September 5, 2009

EFY Book of Mormon Challenge

so we all know that EFY rocks my world.
that's no secret. it's quite out there.
well, because i love EFY so much i, in turn, love my fellow EFY counselor friends.
before i came back to school i had a bunch of EFY friends over at my house.
some of us were discussing the scriptures and decided to create a project.
we were going to read the Book of Mormon together as a group.
now obviously we all can't be together physically cause we range from Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Idaho, Utah, etc...so that's kind of impossible.
we decided to create a group of Facebook and we would all read the same material every day.
then if we felt so inclined we could write some things we felt impressed by on the group's page.
i set it up and we started on September 1 and if we read 5 pages every day, we can be done by 2010.
what a great way to end 2009. [which by the way can't believe ends in 3.5 months.]
anyways, as i have been reading I've come to love Nephi even more.
i think this time through i was really trying to apply his life to mine.
and it's awesome how much we can take from the scriptures and put them into modern day use.
but seriously...Nephi is a stud.
I have learned a lot from him while reading 1 Nephi, but I would like to share two things that have stuck out in my mind while reading.

The first one is in 1 Nephi 2:20. It says, "And inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise: yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands."
As I was thinking about that it made me think about how Heavenly Father has already prepared a land of promise for us. He knows our course of life, He knows where we're headed, He knows the people we are going to meet in our lives and the experiences we're going to have. He already knows. But the thing that hit me the most was that He has prepared the land of promise for us and it is a land that is choice above all others. He has a huge reward waiting for us if we can just keep the commandments and choose the right path. How cool is that? Oh i loved it.

The second one that got me was 1 Nephi 7:17-18 and that reads, "...I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound. And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren..."
Now hopefully today our siblings aren't binding us with ropes and wanting to cause death upon our heads...I hope.
BUT...there are things in this life that bind us.
It is different for everyone. Everyone has a different struggle, or "rope," that's holding us down.
For a good long while it was a relationship for me.
But I love how Nephi asked for the Lord to release the cords according to his faith and strength.
How many times do we have things in our lives that could be lifted up, but we're too busy trying to do it on our own?
We just need to ask in faith and be believing and all things will work together for our good.
That's the promise.
And I know that promise is real.

I am so grateful for Nephi and the lessons he has been teaching me.
I love reading the scriptures and I know they are true.
They were written for us to draw strength from and I can't wait to thank those who came before me someday.

Go read the scriptures...you'll have a better day today. i promise.

1 comments:

Krista said...

what a great way to end 2009! i'll have to tell you about the SMILE Challenge I'm doing with my Young Women. We're almost done and are starting again and this time we're inviting everyone we know to do it with us. You'll have to join us. :)